Friday, January 28, 2011

Cloth Diapers 101...

When I made the decision to cloth diaper our son my husband was not excited.  Some of my friends and family told me I would not last.  Well here we are one year in and our son is in cloth 99% of the time.  The 1% is when we have a young sitter that is not comfy with the idea of using cloth.  We always use a biodegradable disposable. 
My husband has learned to love our cloth diapers and thinks they are pretty easy to use.  He also loves all the money it is going to save us.  Our son will be in diapers for approximately 3 years.  Disposables would cost us approximatley $1000.00 per year, the cost of our cloth diapers was $500.00.  So in the end we will have saved $2500.00.  Plus another bonus is that these cloth diapers will be able to be used with our future children as well.  Increasing our savings!
After lots of researching I decided that gdiapers were going to be the cloth diaper for us.  The nice thing about gdiapers was that they offered a flushable/biodegradable insert as well as a cloth insert.  I used the flushable insert for the first 5 weeks and then I started using the cloth inserts and have never looked back.  I was hesitant at first to use cloth when taking Everette out of the house but after a few outings I realized that it was just as easy as using the flushies or a disposable.  I just had to plan ahead and be prepared. 
I chose to use a dry diaper pail.  I keep it in the bathroom and I am lucky that I have enough counter space in my bathroom to have my change pad in there as well.  I found that this had made clean up a lot easier.  My husband also installed a diaper sprayer for me. 
There has certainly been a learning curve using cloth diapers but I have been able to find a lot of great resources.  The biggest challenge I have encountered is finding the right detergent to wash my diapers with.  I have battled the dreaded ammonia but once I found the right detergent it was easily defeated.

Pamela

http://rockingreensoap.com/

http://www.gdiapers.com/

Diapering decisions - Great info

No comments:

Post a Comment